Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Richard Thompson: Keep Your Distance

SONG Keep Your Distance

WRITTEN BY Richard Thompson

PERFORMED BY Richard Thompson

APPEARS ON Rumor and Sigh (1991); Watching the Dark (1993)

Richard Thompson's triple-threat combination of literate songwriting, expert guitar playing, and impassioned singing have made him one of rock's most respected performers. Though his melodies are rooted in English folk music, Thompson's lyrics often reflect modern conflicts and existentialist dilemmas. Other songs, such as his masterpiece "From Galway to Graceland," grace us with exquisite simplicity and tenderness.

A great breakup song, "Keep Your Distance" combines highly literate lyrics ("sweeping out the footprints where I strayed") with terrific folk-rock hooks to look back on relationship that imploded under the pressures of its own intensity. The singer fears any contact with a former lover because involvement with that person cost both of them "our souls, our lives," far too great a price in Thompson's estimation. Love, after all, should lead to one's best self, not consign it to oblivion ("what can I do but fall").

But what of the enigmatic final line: "With us it must be all or none at all." While the thrust of the song leads to the conclusion that "none at all" is preferable, Thompson remains tempted and intrigued by the possibilities of "all." Even though he knows that that is a "desperate game," the chance that he might succumb to its lures are enough to warn his lover to "keep your distance." Because in the end, he knows that -- if she doesn't -- he will fall. Which raises the question: Why is the onus on her to keep distance between them? Maybe because he knows that he's incapable of doing so on his own.

LYRICS
If I cross your path again
Who know where? Who knows when?
On some morning without number
On some highway without end
Don't grasp my hand and say
"Fate has brought you here today"
Fate is only fooling with us, friend

Keep your distance, oh, keep your distance
When I feel you close to me what can I do but fall?
Keep your distance, keep your distance
With us it must be all or none at all

It's a desperate game we play
Throw our souls, our lives, away
Wounds that can't be mended
And debts that can't be paid
Oh I played and I got stung
Now I'm biting back my tongue
And sweeping out the footprints where I strayed

Keep your distance, oh, keep your distance
When I feel you close to me what can I do but fall?
Keep your distance, keep your distance
With us it must be all or none at all

Keep your distance, oh, keep your distance
When I feel you close to me what can I do but fall?
Keep your distance, keep your distance
With us it must be all or none at all
With us it must be all or none at all
With us it must be all or none at all



Note: That's Shawn Colvin on backing vocals and rhythm guitar. Also, the hum fades out as soon as the music starts.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! Richard Thompson, one of my all-time favorite artists. The man has chops - whether it be technical ability or songwriting talent - that he still hasn't used yet. Thanks for posting this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the song and the lyrics! Hope you got to listen to the festival!

    ReplyDelete